The Big Waste Problem
In England alone there is an estimated 177 million tonnes of waste generated every year. The figure for the UK and Ireland combined is even more shocking, and shows a poor use of resources which costs businesses and households millions of pounds, every year. Furthermore, this also has a severe impact on our environment because waste sent to landfill produces methane, which is a powerful greenhouse gas.
Governments are striving to achieve a 'zero waste economy' which means we all take responsibility to reduce, reuse and recycle when we can and only throw things away as a very last resort.
But councils across Europe, the UK and Ireland are facing the same challenges when it comes to the management of food waste - contaminated packaging. The UK sends an estimated seven million tonnes of food waste to landfill annually. Not only can the food be recycled but so too can the packaging. The problem faced by councils, however, is they simply don't have the resources to employ personnel to manually separate the foodstuffs from the packaging to ensure packaging is not contaminated.
SlurryKat have a robust piece of equipment, which offers a solution to this challenging issue. The company can provide a range of differently sized Bio-Separators, which will remove food and food packaging and other unwanted materials from various waste sources. The Bio-Separators not only reduce methane emissions from landfill, but it will also empower councils to help the government reach its targets.
The SlurryKat Solution: The Bio-Separator
So what is the Bio-Separator and how does it work? It's an innovative and robust piece of revolutionary equipment which comes in a range of sizes which effectively separates biogenic-organic material from non-biogenic waste material. These machines are the solution to a multi-million pound problem that have been causing complications for councils for decades.
The Bio-Separator process is simple. Waste material is put into a Bio-Separator from a 'hopper' which breaks down the waste material. The Bio-Separator uses its hammer mill to break down and separate the waste. Rotating blades are then used to filter the organic waste through a screen while the non-organic waste is retained within the hammer mill. The blades in the hammer mill then breaks down the inorganic matter and keeps it separate from the organic effluent.
Because of its design, the Bio-Separator enables the waste material to move upwards within the unit. The inorganic waste is broken down into smaller pieces and lifted upwards by the force of the rotating hammer mill. During this process the plastics are washed which, quite simply, results in clean, decontaminated material, which is suitable for recycling.
Furthermore, the organic waste which then exits the screen is collected in a different container which directs this waste to the base of the Bio-Separator. The food waste can then be used for a range of other purposes.
What Can Separated Products Be Used For?
• Anaerobic digestion
• Animal feed
• Animal bedding
Features of the Bio Separator
• Manufacture in AISI 304 Stainless Steel with Hardox
• Steel hammer mill and hot galvanized or stainless steel screen
• Screen sizes of 10mm or 15mm as standard
• Various models with throughput ranging from 2-20 tonnes per hour of co-mingled organic and non-organic waste
• Hopper sizes of 850 or 2,500 US gallons for Dry systems
• Bag openers and specially designed chopper pumps for mixing and feeding Wet system
• In store hand fed compact units for de-packaging, separation and volume reduction
• Turn Key projects, from design to start-up
• Recycling of domestic household waste streams which means there's no need for different assorted domestic black, green and brown bins
• Recycling of school cafeteria, hotels and restaurants waste streams
• Recycling of "out of date" packaged food returns in supermarkets and food manufacturers
• Materials separation at Refuse and amenity sites
• Reduce landfill deposits by up to approximately 80 per cent
Performance Benefits of the Bio-Separator
• The Bio-Separator deals with up to 20 tonnes of waste food per hour
• The kit is robust and can treat a wide variety of waste streams without additional setup or adjustments
• Reinforced corrosion free stainless steel construction with a few easy replaceable wear parts
• Up to 99 per cent removal of non-organics from food waste
• Minimal use of fresh water controls overall volume
• Volume reduction for transport and tipping fees means savings
• Recycled food waste can be used as compost for fertilizer replacement
• Creation of an Anaerobic Digester waste stream with high methane production potential
• Reducing GHG (Methane) emissions from landfills and waste combustion
• Improved sanitation, public safety and health for your facility and the community
Optional Bio-Separator Accessories
• Lid for hopper
• Walk path
• Piping and valves
• Hydraulic unit for tilting and opening of lid
• Distribution box for mixing and loading of storage tank
With Bio-Separators in place councils will help the Government reach its targets to create a 'zero waste economy'. The Bio-Separator will help councils across Ireland, the UK and Europe invest in achieving a waste free future. We will help councils separate the contents from the packaging which in turn can be used to produce energy. To find out more phone SlurryKat today on 028 3882 0862.